ReplayTV Introduces New 5500 Series with Four New Powerful Features
5500 Series Designed To Address Concerns of Copyright Holders
Santa Clara, Calif. – June 10, 2003 – ReplayTV®, a Digital Networks North America (DNNA) company, today introduced the new ReplayTV 5500 series. This new series provides four new powerful product features including home network recording and the ability to skip reruns and eliminate programming conflicts.
The introduction of the new ReplayTV 5500 series followed an extensive industry and product review by ReplayTV after the acquisition of ReplayTV by DNNA on April 25, 2003. DNNA is a subsidiary of D&M Holdings Inc., parent company to premium audio and video manufacturers Denon Ltd., Marantz Japan, Inc. and McIntosh Laboratory, Inc.
The 5500 series, which will be available this August, incorporates the award-winning features that ReplayTV is known for, plus the new ReplayTV 5.0 software. The software adds four powerful new features to the ReplayTV experience, including:
- Network Recording – Identifies recording conflicts and automatically assigns recording to an available ReplayTV on your home network
- Pause and Resume – Pause your movie in the living room and finish watching it in the bedroom
- First Run Recordings –Record only the new episodes and skip recording the repeats
- Recording Priority – Automatically identifies conflicts and lets you decide which shows to record
ReplayTV also announced that it would address concerns of content copyright holders by removing the Send Show feature in the new ReplayTV 5500. The company is also removing the Automatic Commercial Advance® feature in the new ReplayTV 5500, but keeping the QuickSkip™ and high-speed fast forward buttons so consumers can determine on their own which parts of programming they would like to view. With the touch of a button, QuickSkip allows users to choose to skip parts of a recorded program in 30-second increments. ReplayTV’s fast forward button allows users to fast-forward at up to 20 times normal speed.
“The new ReplayTV 5500 series will provide our customers with the best possible DVR experience, while being responsive to issues and concerns raised by the owners and distributors of copyrighted content,” said Michael Seedman, chairman of DNNA. “It’s our goal to try to resolve issues that emerge in the area of digital media networking and be a positive force in the industry,” Seedman added.
The 5500 series will maintain broadband connectivity, giving ReplayTV the option of offering the ability in the future to send non-copyrighted material across the Internet to other ReplayTV units and possibly computers. ReplayTV units currently networked within the home can continue to communicate with each other.
Additional Features and Capabilities
The ReplayTV 5500 offers consumers all of the features they have come to expect from ReplayTV, including:
- Record Without Tape – Easy one-touch recording with on-screen channel guide
- Control Live TV – Pause, rewind, instant replay, slo-mo and frame advance
- Highest Recording Capacity – Record up to 320 hours of content
- Broadband Ready – Choose broadband or phone line access to the ReplayTV service
- QuickSkip™ -- Use Quickskip on your remote to jump past the boring parts
- Theme Record – Automatically record shows by keyword or theme
- MyReplayTV – Program your ReplayTV while away from home using the Internet
- Room-To-Room – Stream video from one room to another between networked ReplayTVs
- Your Photos™ – Store and view your digital photos on TV
- And More – Find Shows, Parental Control, Show Organizer, Conflict Resolver, Manual Record, Show Extender and ReplayZones™
As the inventor and creator of personal television, ReplayTV, a Digital Networks North America company, is a leader in the digital entertainment space. ReplayTV digital video recorders (DVRs) allow users to watch what they want, when they want. The most advanced DVR available today, ReplayTV has built a loyal following and has earned numerous patents for the development of groundbreaking technology associated with DVR design. With ReplayTV, users can find all their favorite shows, record them digitally onto a hard drive and watch them whenever they want. Viewers can also pause, rewind, fast-forward, frame advance, create their own instant replays, and watch live TV in slow motion. With ReplayTV, there’s always something good on.
Statements in this news release that are not statements of historical fact may include forward looking statements regarding future events or the future financial performance of the company.
We wish to caution you that such statements are just predictions and that actual events or results may differ materially. Forward looking statements involve a number of risks and uncertainties surrounding competitive and industry conditions, market acceptance for the company's products, risks of litigation, technological changes, developing industry standards and other factors related to the company's businesses. The actions referred to in this press release are not an admission or acknowledgement of any claim or allegation. The Company reserves all of its rights.
ReplayTV is a registered trademark of Digital Networks North America, Inc.
For more information please visit www.ReplayTV.com
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
+1 212 388 1400
# # #